Monday, December 26, 2011

Moogie's True, Feel-good, Christmas Miracle Story

On Christmas Eve, I was navigating the aisles at the enormous grocery that I call Krogerville because it deserves its own zip code, intent on grabbing what I needed and getting the heck out of there (along with most of the rest of the population of central Arkansas), when I heard a clattering racket behind me. A young woman had knocked over an entire display of holiday muffin tins and was frantically trying to pick them up, without much success.

"Bless her heart," I thought as I turned to resume pushing my cart.

But then I heard myself talking to me in my head. "It's Christmas Eve. We're all frazzled. Go help her."

So I walked back to her, set my purse down, and we got everything back in place while sharing a good laugh. She went her way and I went mine.

About five minutes later, as I was searching for the good kind of eggnog, a voice over the loudspeaker announced, "MoogieP, please report to Customer Service." Twice! And it dawned on me that my purse was no longer on my arm.

You know that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach? I had it in spades. My cell phone. My car keys. My billfold. My chapstick!!

But when I got to Customer Service, as I had dared to hope (since they knew my name, of course), they had my purse! Someone had turned it in! And, here's the miraculous part -- everything was intact! Nothing missing -- not even cash! I smiled and hummed Christmas carols aloud for the duration of that shopping trip, feeling quite peaceful and good-will-toward-men-ish.

So, I guess it truly does pay to do a good deed -- it might come around back to you sooner than you could imagine. Merry Christmas Season to one and all! May the miracles multiply for you and yours.

And, Geaux Saints! Pluck those Dirty Birds!

What? Don't judge me. Beating Atlanta on Monday Night Football feels good, too!

5 comments:

  1. So it's TRUE: miracles never cease.

    But ya made your own miracle there, too. Good On Ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your Chapstick! You had me worried there too. Really, it was a great story. All's well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moogie, I already read this, and commented on The Fagbook.

    It is a personal policy to only comment ONCE on a feel good story, so I have nothing to say.

    Already said it. No use in repeating myself. I mean, I'm not one to say the same things over and over and over...

    Well, I guess I am. But, I can't remember what I said on The Failbook, so you'll have to go back and look at it.

    Getting old sucks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my... I call that feeling "purse panic" and I hate it so much. glad this turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Buck, it's true!

    All is well indeed, Lou!

    Yeah, Andy, I'll have to go back and look, too. *sigh*

    I've never done that before, Cuz. I live in New Orleans so I NEVER leave my purse unattended anywhere! Must have been a Christmas brain fog.

    ReplyDelete