Friday, September 4, 2009

The AP Exhibits the Cruelest of Intentions Despite Protestations to the Contrary


I just saw an entry on Michelle Malkin's blog that wrenched my gut and broke my heart. Malkin reports that the AP has decided, contrary to the wishes of the fallen Marine's family, to publish a photo of the late LCPL Joshua Bernard's dying moments. Malkin invited readers to contact the AP to express their opinions.

Here are mine:

To Whom It May Concern:

As the wife of an Army officer who served honorably for nearly 35 years, and a member of a military family who respects the uniform, the valor of those who wear it, and the true meaning of "honor," I humbly ask that your news organization "honor" the request of the family of a fallen Marine, Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard of New Portland, Maine, and decline to publish a photo of LCPL Bernard's dying moments captured by an embedded AP staff team in Helmand province, Afghanistan.

Neither stronger words nor argument can be made to support my request than those of Secretary of Defense Robert Gates in his
letter to Thomas Curley, AP’s president and chief executive officer:

"Out of respect for his family’s wishes, I ask you in the strongest of terms to reconsider your decision. I do not make this request lightly. In one of my first public statements as Secretary of Defense, I stated that the media should not be treated as the enemy, and made it a point to thank journalists for revealing problems that need to be fixed – as was the case with Walter Reed.

"I cannot imagine the pain and suffering Lance Corporal Bernard’s death has caused his family. Why your organization would purposefully defy the family’s wishes knowing full well that it will lead to yet more anguish is beyond me. Your lack of compassion and common sense in choosing to put this image of their maimed and stricken child on the front page of multiple American newspapers is appalling. The issue here is not law, policy or constitutional right – but judgment and common decency."

I also suggest that the credentials of the embedded employees of the AP be rescinded, and that they be re-deployed stateside immediately.

Yours for Common Decency,
MoogieP


Whatever happened to journalistic ethics?

2 comments:

  1. Whatever happened to journalistic ethics?

    THAT is a damned good question. But... we know the answer now, don't we? I love this country to death, but sometimes its institutions make me want to... hurt something or somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethics we don't need no stinking ethics.

    ReplyDelete