Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Eve on the Uptown Parade Route

It's Friday afternoon! Not just any Friday -- it's the Friday when the first parades roll on the Uptown route! Police are erecting the street barricades at this very minute. Ha! As if the masses in search of trinkets pay attention to any silly ol' police barricades! I vividly remember when people actually moved the orange cones I had set out by the curb to try to save a spot for the girls -- one even ran over and crushed the cone! I'm beyond that blood pressure-raising endeavor now. It's every guest for himself!

And so, Pepper came home early this afternoon. Trying to get from Point A, Downtown, to Point B, Uptown, can be a daunting task while parades are rolling, and especially while half of southeast Louisiana is trying to find legal parking places on the street so they can enjoy the parades in the family-friendly spots.

I took advantage of his early arrival and suggested we take a walk up to the neighborhood ice cream parlor. Bouie accompanied us -- he didn't get to chase the tabby cat, though.

While en route, we heard the prettiest music! Someone was getting an early Valentine's Day gift -- a serenade on her front porch by a barbershop quartet! I wish the whole world could have seen the delighted expression on her face and the breadth of her smile -- she appeared to be transported back to the days when she was a mere girl being courted by her beau. Pepper's and my eyes met, and we smiled, too.

The ice cream was pretty tasty! I couldn't eat all of mine, so I popped it in the freezer to tempt me later. Pepper let Bouie have a few licks in between his own. Then Bouie got to eat the cone. I don't recall sharing my ice cream cone with a dog before -- at least not on purpose. I guess maybe Bouie really isn't a dog!

Cross your fingers that the rain skips the Uptown route. I can't wait for the drumlines to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment