Monday, January 5, 2015

At Loose Ends Here

I'm kind of in a funk. Just kind of antsy for some unknown reason.

And I'm seriously sick and tired of governments getting more and more involved with the minutiae of daily living. Take Dallas, for example.

On New Year's Day, a new ordinance took effect in Dallas that imposes a new "environmental fee" on paper and plastic bags used to transport purchases made at retail stores.  Five cents per bag! The "fee" purports to be a means to reduce litter and the customer is permitted to bring his own reusable bags or purchase them from the merchant. AP reports, "The Dallas rules have sparked some confusion. But officials say the idea is to encourage shoppers to bring their own, reusable bags — thus avoiding the new fees."

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a "nudge" to "encourage" sanctioned behavior and a revenue generator all rolled into one handy-dandy rule. A tax by any other name . . . .

So, I think I'll go along with Calvin in the upcoming year:



Gee, I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

And, I need a hug.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, hate laws governing the small things in our lives. It is as if we are all idiots that need to be told what to do. Truthfully, some of us are idiots, which could be blamed on public schools, but that is another soap box. I love my grocery bags and use them all the time. I love it that United groceries gives me a little 15 cent encouragement for bringing my bags. I would really hate to be punished when I forget my bags. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete