Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

A brave new day for the U.S. of A. I'll say one thing for our young new President -- he certainly has a mastery of the english language. I truly enjoy listening to his oratories, savoring his choice of words. I wish him and his handsome family luck and success.


Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Reverend Lowery's composition skills. In his attempt to end on a humorous note, he did not move me -- he left a sour taste in my mouth. His opportunity to deliver the benediction at the first black President's inauguration was ripe with promise and the hope of moving past racial divisiveness. I was hoping to hear words advocating unity and new beginnings; what I heard was "let's all be friends, but only after we get in one more gig at the white man." I felt his words to be mean-spirited and it put a damper on the day for me. What a shame.


Nonetheless, it's 2009 and we have much work to do to put this nation back on track. We gotta get it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment