Saturday, June 16, 2018

A Golf Tale


I'm a little idea-deprived in the blog post department.

Sometimes we just need to default to low-hanging fruit. So in the spirit of Pepper's finally convincing me to watch golf on tv, willingly, I forthwith offer this memorialization of the "Day That Phil Mickelson (probably) Lost It."

This is US Open week -- a big tournament, one of "The Majors," one of the four tournaments in Golf's Grand Slam.  A title coveted by anyone who has ever swung a club.  The only one of the four that Ol' Lefty is missing.

He's not likely to win this year's US Open Trophy after today.

It seems that Phil was feeling a little frustrated during today's round (and some commentators speculate that he committed his violation of the rules to protest the placement of the cups on the greens), so when his bogey putt ran past the cup on the 13th, he chased down the ball and putted it back toward the cup while it was still rolling. 

That is apparently a near-hanging-offense in the PGA.

He was assessed an automatic 2-stroke penalty and wound up with a crushing 10 on the par 4 hole.

He explained that he didn't mean any disrespect by committing the offense; that he simply didn't want the ball to roll off the green leaving him with Lord knows how many extra shots to hole it. Of course he also said, “I’ve had multiple times where I’ve wanted to do that, I just finally did.”

I'm afraid the Rules Committee may have gone in search of a rope.

Oh well, the College World Series kicks off tomorrow and my Omahawgs will be there!  Wooo Pig! Tuck Fexas (as we used to cheer back in the day)!!

Happy Fathers Day Eve!

2 comments:

  1. Watching golf! Zzz. Maybe Phil made it more exciting. I knew there had been some sort of stink, but I did not know what it was. I guess even golfers have human instincts - especially when money is involved.

    ReplyDelete