Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Dollar Bill" Finally to be Issued a Prison Jumpsuit!



So.  Seven years after his wrongdoing came to light, and 2 1/2 years after his conviction, my former Congressman, William "Dollar Bill" Jefferson, has finally been ordered to report to prison by May 4th.  You can refresh your memory about his saga here.

He got 13 years.  The judge will send him to a minimum security federal facility and Jefferson will be required to serve at least 85% of his sentence before becoming eligible for parole.  That means he'll be in the hoosegow for more than 11 years.  He's 65 now, so it's likely he won't be feeling too spry when he gets sprung.

Sounds like watching ol' Bill don the orange jumpsuit should be a pretty strong deterrent to others in Congress who might be tempted to engage in similar hijinks.  But, then again, power corrupts.

We have plenty of evidence of that axiom in DC today, now, don't we?

5 comments:

  1. >>>don the orange jumpsuit should be a pretty strong deterrent to others

    Nah. I think the weasels in congress just hide it somewhere other than their freezers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Inno said.

    I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand the time at my age, even at a "minimum security" facility. That almost makes me feel sorry for Jefferson. Almost, but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're probably right, Inno. Taking off the rose-colored glasses now.

    I hear ya, Buck. Almost.

    I'm dancin' with ya, Murph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Bill only 65? Jeepers, I thought he was older.

    Well, I guess they had to wait for Fast Eddie to vacate a bed...

    ReplyDelete